Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I = Introverted

The first letter describing an INFP is "I". Not "I" as in "myself", but "I" as in "introverted".

Note: Before I go any further into this discussion, let me first point out that there are many quality descriptions of Meyers-Briggs typological theory that have already described each of the 16 personality types in depth. For a good overview of any type personality, MyPersonality.info has a good selection of summaries for each type, along with links to additional information sites, such as PersonalityPage.com. It is not my purpose to either attempt to define the INFP type to such an extent on my own (I am not qualified to do so) or to repeat what has already been stated. Instead, I will describe this element of the type's personality from my own experience.

Let me begin with what introversion is NOT. Introversion is not shyness. Introversion is not the manifestation of anti-social behavior. Introversion is not insecurity. If anything, true introversion is a type of security in "self" to the extent that others are not required by the introvert in order to feel satisfied in his or her day to day existence. As such, it is neither a positive nor a negative manifestation of a person's behavior or social functioning.

Introverts draw their energy from within. They may enjoy being in social environments and may, in fact, have a large circle of friends with whom they stay in close contact, but they will ultimately feel the need to get alone for a period of time in which to "recharge" their energy before going back into another social situation. Introverts may seem reserved or outgoing. Usually this depends on how comfortable they are in the situation observed. At work, in their element, introverts may be strong leaders. When spending a night out on the town with friends, they may be gregarious and social. Or they might withdraw if they feel uneasy or drained, or to simple step back and observe. Introverts are great observers. They pack away facts like extroverts pack away phone numbers of new acquaintances.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your description of introversion, CJ, very insightful. You might know me on INTJforum, CJ, I'm brettsnyder. I like your blog; is nice!
*insert thumbs-up smiley face thingy"